Thursday, February 10, 2011

Free Write: It's like my mind just threw up all over the paper. Enjoy.

"Take the first line of your favorite song and write a story using it as the first line." (Taken from Reader's Digest.com)

"Who have I been kidding? I sold my soul to the coporation." (first two lines from Sell Out by Never Shout Never.) I snap, shrieking into the heavens, and drop my coffee directly on my leather dress shoes. Exasperated, I aggressively ran my hands through my hair. Why am I doing this!? Asking the question that I already know the answer to. Running the answer over and over in my head I search for my keys in the ocean of my deep coat pocket. My hand touches something unfamilar. Why is there a folded piece of paper in my pocket? It's a worn piece of paper, frayed from many washings. How did I never notice this before? I delicately open the fragile manuscript, my hands shaking, afraid that the slightest movement will destroy it. The paper opens to show a scribbled pciture, obviously done by a child. The pictures shows a big stick figure holding hands with a little stick figure. I automatically think of Sammy and sure enough in the corner of the picture, very largely, there is her name scribbled, with an upside down "a." My cheeks get hot. How long has it been since I was home? It seems like an eternity. She must be ten by now. I can't leave. I need to stay here for my job. Tracy and the kids need food, a house, and all the luxuries don't they? I run all the answers over in my head, but they seem dry and forced. I guess now is the time to think of my priorities. I pick up my phone,

"Hello!? Jim?" I hear Tracy's voice full of disbelief on the other end. I reply,

"Yes, honey. It's me, I'm coming home."

No comments:

Post a Comment