Saturday, April 9, 2011

Soft Skeleton: Tragic free write, don't worry it's fiction

Once again, I am doing a free write with a few lines from one of my favorite songs.
It's called Soft Skeleton by Anberlin (My favorite band ever! <3)
Here's a link to the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuv6aehPnbA

"When the light starts to burn, and the pain returns.
I just wish that I could heal the hurt you feel tonight.
There's life in your veins. These needles are chains to hold you down.
How can you expect to win this war if you're too afraid to fight?"


She'll be so suprized! I think excitedly as I shift the heavy package in my hands searching for my appartment key. It's my roommate Katie's 20th birthday. She probably thinks I forgot about it, but on the way home I picked her up a cake, and a movie. It's her favorite movie. Frustrated, I deside to resort to knocking. The house remains quiet, disturbingly quiet. I knock again. Bam, bam, bam. And, reassure myself, Katie's just sleeping.
"Katie? Can you come open the door? I don't have enough hands to get out my key."
I half-shriek frantically. I don't know why I'm so paranoid. Katie's just inside watching t.v., and can't hear me...right?
Knocking once more, I get the gut feeling that something isn't right. Hastily, I drop the cake box on the porch, and with shaking hands, locate my key chain. My vision tunnels, making it hard to get the key in the door, but I'm successful after a couple attempts.
The air is cold and stiff inside the house. Now, I know my gut feeling is right.

The house lackes life, and light. A light muffled sound came from the t.v. room. Rushing in, I saw the blue television light illuminating a limp figure laying on the carpet.

"Oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh..." I repeat to my self in breathy whispers. She told me she was clean, all these thoughts begin to shoot through my head, I drove her to the methadone clinic last week, I watched her throw it all out, this can't behappening.

I kneel down next to her. Everything checks out for an overdose. Why? Katie why did you relapse? You told me you were ok. 

I run over to the phone, and dial 911. My hands are shaking, and tears begin to swell in my eyes. No matter how many times I have done this, it never gets routine, never normal, just painful.

1 comment:

  1. D:
    (By the way, you can't overdose on heroin. you have to mix it with alcohol or something. Methadone however, you can overdose on. Just saying.) gee i wonder where you got the overdose/methadone idea. i'd lol but it wouldn't be apropriate at the moment. you should continue this little... typing. and i know exactly how the main character feels. also, i wanna know what happens. does katie live or?

    ReplyDelete